Welcome!

Meet Summer ...

A very special dog who has survived all odds.


Her perseverance and determination is proof that no matter what life throws at you; the good and the bad, the opportunities, obstacles and challenges ... anything is possible!

We all need a Summer to remind us that we are not alone. So, sing along ...

"...Call on me brother, when you need a hand. We all need somebody to lean on. I just might have a problem that you'd understand. We all need somebody to lean on!"

Her inspiration is contagious!

Be one of Summer's fans and follow her "paws-i-tive" journey.

**If you are just joining us, you'll want to start from the beginning with her post on August 8th, 2011, as her journey begins.**


ON THE ROAD AGAIN...

Monday, August 15th, 2011

Today is another big day! After spending a wonderful week at the vets, I’ve been cleared to leave and start the next chapter of my new life.  (Wait, a wonderful week at the vet’s?  That sounds just wrong!)

OK…the X-rays, blood work and other tests weren’t exactly an enjoyable experience, but Dr. B said it gave him lots of answers.  I was treated for a nasty bladder infection (if you’ve ever had one, you know what I’m talking about - not fun!). The X-rays showed arthritis and possible torn ACL’s in both knees. The good news is there doesn't appear to be any nerve damage or thyroid problems.

The vet staff treated me like royalty. I was so happy with all the love and attention, I gave myself “happy tail.” (You know … that thing you get when you wag your tail too much!)   So YES, it was a wonderful week at the vet’s.

Before I left, with the pretty pink bandage on my tail <g>, I had my second weigh in and weighed 3 pounds more – 127.  Total Bummer!  But Dr. B said it wasn't surprising since I was very dehydrated before. Everyone is hopeful that with weight loss and therapy, I will regain the mobility in my hind legs and be able to walk. There is a possibility of surgery, but I have to weigh under 100 pounds first.  


Once again, the singing angels appeared and swooped me up and loaded me back into the SUV (OK OK, swoop is a slight exaggeration).  Off we went again … over more mountains, valleys and rivers. 

When we arrived, we were greeted by another angel who was holding a special harness … (just for me!) and once again, I started to tumble out of the car to greet her.  The poor girls really struggled … grunting and dripping with sweat, while they maneuvered me this way and that, to get the harness on.
And then it happened … with the harness and their support, I was able to stand and walk my first “baby” steps. You could hear their cheers of joy for miles and I couldn’t stop wagging my tail, even if I do look like a bear!

I am so excited to settle in to my new place (all set up with soft beds everywhere)!  I know I'm going to love it here!  

Since I am still young (only 2 to 5 years old) and have my whole life ahead of me …my transformation to safely lose half of my body weight so I walk and run - starts now!

Determined and so very thankful,
~ Summer

Copyright - Summer's Journey 2011 - All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, NO Spammers, Selling of goods/services, unrelated links OR inappropriate comments!