Welcome!

Meet Summer ...

A very special dog who has survived all odds.


Her perseverance and determination is proof that no matter what life throws at you; the good and the bad, the opportunities, obstacles and challenges ... anything is possible!

We all need a Summer to remind us that we are not alone. So, sing along ...

"...Call on me brother, when you need a hand. We all need somebody to lean on. I just might have a problem that you'd understand. We all need somebody to lean on!"

Her inspiration is contagious!

Be one of Summer's fans and follow her "paws-i-tive" journey.

**If you are just joining us, you'll want to start from the beginning with her post on August 8th, 2011, as her journey begins.**


AHHHHH...HOME SWEET HOME!

Friday, August 26th, 2011

WOW … has it already been two weeks since I left the vet?  I have been so busy settling in, getting familiar with my new place called "Foster Farms" Retreat and getting to know the other dogs that live here.  Several of the dogs have been rescued just like me, so we have a lot in common.  It’s all good! 

I spent the first night getting a well deserved good night sleep on all of the snugly soft beds.  (It sure beats the hard ground in the ditch and the concrete at the shelter.)  The next morning, I was determined to check out my new surroundings and all the new smells.
I could hear the little engine and her helper singing, "I-think-I can! I-think-I can! I-think-I can."
Well, I just knew I could and got up on all four’s ready to go check it all out on my own … (You know the saying, you can't keep a good "dog" down).  It worked for a second or two
and ... oops, down I went. 
The girls have worked out a schedule to get me “up and out,” since it takes two of them, even with the help of the nifty harness.  After a few days though, the girls barely had to hold me up with the harness. That is HUGE progress in only 2 weeks!

That is, as long as we are going in the direction that I want to go.  However if it’s not, I “put my weight into it” and become a 127 pound stubborn donkey.  They quickly figured out that they could coax me with a TINY piece of CHICKEN.  (Well, that only worked the first couple of times, I figured that one out!)

I get to spend time every day in the fenced area where I watch the other foster dogs running and barking in the field below and enjoy the beautiful scenery.  My new two legged friends come to visit, hang out with me and give me lots of love and attention.  (It's all about me, don't you know.) 
It’s awesome ‘cuz when they hold out a “tiny” treat, I get what they call “my CHICKEN face.”

(Yup ...love that chicken!)
Speaking of food … the girls have been frantically researching my new strict diet.  Oh… the many, many phone calls, discussions, emails and online research … all around what type of food I should eat, the amount, the ingredients, the nutritional values (protein, fat, fiber) and so on.  I’m guessing that hamburgers and french fries aren’t going to be on the menu – DARN! 
My weight is my biggest concern and preventing me from getting around on my own.  Dr. B said I need to lose 50 to 60 pounds.  YIKES, that means I am considered 79% overweight … the same as a 5’9” man weighing over 300 pounds (with 130 pounds of that being "extra" weight). To really put it into perspective, try carrying THREE 40 pound bags of dog food areound all of the time.  No wonder I can’t stand up or walk!
With all the talk about diet, exercise and overall health risks, I think I’ll do some research on my own – on the growing problem of animals (like me) and “packing on those extra pounds” and people too!  I hope everyone can benefit and work on this together!
Heading off to the book store …

Got Chicken?
~ Summer

P.S. Again, I would like to thank everyone for your help and dedication, and especially for following my journey! Thank you!
**Side note before I totally sign off ... some of my fans are telling me that if they are following by email, some of you may not be getting the pictures, just the text.  And as they say, "pictures are worth a thousand words."  If this is happening to you - try:  1. check your computer settings, 2. Join the site! or "forward the message" and they should pop up.**

Copyright - Summer's Journey 2011 - All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, NO Spammers, Selling of goods/services, unrelated links OR inappropriate comments!