Welcome!

Meet Summer ...

A very special dog who has survived all odds.


Her perseverance and determination is proof that no matter what life throws at you; the good and the bad, the opportunities, obstacles and challenges ... anything is possible!

We all need a Summer to remind us that we are not alone. So, sing along ...

"...Call on me brother, when you need a hand. We all need somebody to lean on. I just might have a problem that you'd understand. We all need somebody to lean on!"

Her inspiration is contagious!

Be one of Summer's fans and follow her "paws-i-tive" journey.

**If you are just joining us, you'll want to start from the beginning with her post on August 8th, 2011, as her journey begins.**


MORE NEW ADVENTURES ...

Friday, September 2nd, 2011
I am such a lucky dog – my life has changed so much in the last several weeks.  This week has been no exception and full of more new adventures.
You know how you perk up when someone asks you if you want to do something you really enjoy?  Like go shopping or out to dinner?  Well, two of mine are – “Want to go for a walk?” and “Want to go for a ride?”
The walk is a three-some.  Usually with Jewell on the side with the front of the harness, I’m in the middle, and Mercy bringing up my rear – literally!  In fact, when I’m excited, I try to run with them … only for a few steps … but hey, it’s progress!


The other day I headed to the car with the open door and got my front half up into the car and Mercy hiked my rear end in and took me for a happy ride.  So today, when the girls asked me if I wanted to go for a ride, I was all over it!
I was going “swimming.”  When we arrived, I was greeted by a lady named Joy and her helper.  Of course, I was so excited to see them I once again spilled out of the car.  Joy works with dogs that have mobility issues or are recovering from surgery in the water.

 
Pool ~ Swimming ~ How COOL!  
While I was busy looking for the outdoor pool, I was guided into a building instead.  Well, it wasn’t really a pool, it was more like a tank and I wasn’t really going swimming.  (Talk about a letdown!)  Instead I was about to have my first experience with “hydrotherapy.” 

First, I weighed in and I have lost almost 3 pounds in a little over two weeks or 124.4 pounds.  (Now that’s what I’m talking about!)  While we were celebrating the good news, Joy put on these “waders.”  My harness was replaced with another and it was hooked to what looked like a “hoist” and up I went. (What? Now I’m flying?)

The next thing I knew, Joy and I were in the “pool” (NOT!) and it started filling up with water.  If matters couldn’t get any worse – the floor started moving.  Not only was I in a tank, I was on a treadmill!  I wasn’t going to just relax and float, I was exercising!


For the next 6 minutes, I huffed and puffed while I walked on the treadmill and Joy worked my back legs (especially the left one).  Finally, the water started going down and I was back on solid ground, where I was rewarded with a good rub down with a towel.  My harness was put on and I was so “out of there,” heading to the car and going home.  Those 6 minutes felt like hours! 

Like it or not, hydrotherapy is a really important part of my being able to walk again.  I can exercise without the pressure of all my body weight and cause any more damage.  I wouldn’t have gone back or scheduled the next two visits, if Dr. B hadn’t recommended it and Mercy generously donating 4 sessions (Thank you!).

Tuckered and Sore!
~ Summer

Copyright - Summer's Journey 2011 - All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, NO Spammers, Selling of goods/services, unrelated links OR inappropriate comments!