Welcome!

Meet Summer ...

A very special dog who has survived all odds.


Her perseverance and determination is proof that no matter what life throws at you; the good and the bad, the opportunities, obstacles and challenges ... anything is possible!

We all need a Summer to remind us that we are not alone. So, sing along ...

"...Call on me brother, when you need a hand. We all need somebody to lean on. I just might have a problem that you'd understand. We all need somebody to lean on!"

Her inspiration is contagious!

Be one of Summer's fans and follow her "paws-i-tive" journey.

**If you are just joining us, you'll want to start from the beginning with her post on August 8th, 2011, as her journey begins.**


MORE CAR RIDES

Friday, September 23rd, 2011

I can feel it in the air ... Today is the first day of Autumn already and that makes me "ornery!"

Earlier this week, I rolled all the way over in the soft green grass for the very first time.  It felt so good!  I just love "hanging" with the other dogs and I know that one day I will be able to join them running and playing with so much ease.

In the meantime, I am determined to follow my "peeps" everywhere.  The other day Jewel was going to get the pooper scooper and I decided that I was going with her.  So, I got up on my own, got going across the yard and up 2 small steps onto the deck ... in a nano second, before I dropped to the ground to rest.  No keeping this girl down!


This was a busy week!  I got to go for 2 car rides.  Did I mention that I just love riding in the car?  The car rides were great - the destinations "not so much."


First, was a visit to the vet to rule out bladder stones as a possible cause for the reoccurring bladder infections.  They put me on this table that raised up with the push of a button.  Then they rolled me to another room and slid me onto another metal table.  If that wasn't scary enough, they turned me upside down with my paws in the air and took pictures.

The x-rays showed no bladder stones and no major issues with my hips - YAHOO!  They did show a narrowing in my spine which may be pressing on the nerve.  I left loaded up with more pills and stuff for my ears and eyes.  Really?  I might have allergies too?

Today we went for another ride.  As I smelled the air and the familiar scent of the river ... I knew where I was going.  And then there she was - Joy in her "fishing waders!"  I wish I could just come and visit Joy instead of the weekly weigh-in and hydrotherapy tank.


So, I decided it was time to head back to the car to leave.  When that didn't work, I decided to just drop to the ground!  I wasn't going - No way, No how!  I hoped that "maybe" they would give in, give me a belly rub and we could just go home.

Instead, the girls hoisted me up and coaxed me to walk to THAT building.  HA, I showed them.  I tucked up my legs ... YUP, all 4 of them!  (I think I mentioned that I can be really stubborn - like a donkey!)  They were as determined as I was and the 3 of them "carried me" using the harness (huffing and puffing) through the door and onto the scale.  Then they hooked my up so I could go to work.

From there, I spent the next 10 minutes in the water, all 120.4 pounds of me.  I went 4/100 of a mile (or 211 feet) on the treadmill, but it felt like a marathon.

Finally we headed back to the car and the yard with the soft green grass.  As I sniffed the fresh air and took a deep breath, I told myself "good job" and laid my head down for a well deserved nap!


~ Summer

P.S.  Remind me to tell you next time about the cat that I met at the vet, that was like me.






© Summer’s Journey 2011– All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, NO Spammers, Selling of goods/services, unrelated links OR inappropriate comments!